We are calling on year 7 to 9 students from Gladstone and the Western Downs to solve some of today’s greatest challenges.
Can you make your community more environmentally friendly?
What will students need to do?
- Students will identify an issue related to the environment within their community, and develop a solution using their STEM knowledge and skills.
- Students then submit their solution using written documents, PowerPoint, videos, diagrams, or physical models.
- The challenge is open to students in Years 7 to 9, working in groups of up to 3 students.
What will they get out of it?
- The STEM Inventors Project is aligned to the Design and Technologies strand of the Australian Curriculum, and will foster critical thinking and innovation in students.
- All participating teachers and student groups will receive a certificate and a Future Makers gift pack.
- A small group of highly commended entries from each participating school (up to six students per school) will be invited to participate in the STEM Inventors Project Day on Thursday 4 November in Chinchilla or Thursday 11 November in Gladstone. These exciting events will challenge students with hands-on design and technology activities.
- The overall winning group from the Western Downs and from Gladstone will receive a personalised trophy to be presented at their school assembly.
How can I register my class?
Complete the online registration form at any time.
Once registered, we will send you an online Teacher Guide with support materials to assist in guiding students through the STEM Inventors Project. The guide includes templates and warm-up design thinking activities for your classroom, and will be available from Monday 13 September.
Entries close on Friday 15 October (Term 4, Week 2) with winners notified by Wednesday 22 October (Term 4, Week 3).
The STEM Inventors Day for highly commended entries will be held at the Chinchilla Cultural Centre on Thursday 4th November and in Gladstone at the Oaks Grand Hotel on Thursday 11th November.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com, or register through the link below.